Friday, June 1, 2012

Recipe Time! // Summer Squash with Wild Rice Stuffing

Me and Gabe have dived into our Forks over Knives cookbook with incredible enthusiasm. I don't usually get that excited about cooking vegetarian at home because my imagination had been non existent in the past. This cookbook is amazing though and only uses whole plant based foods. No meat, no dairy, nothing with a face.
  I finished my juice reboot about a week ago and I'm determined to continue to eat healthy while juicing for a couple meals a day. I've had so much energy too and my body feels incredibly happy. I tried going back to old habits (they die hard you know) by making roasted veggies and baked chicken legs. The best thing about that meal was the veggies. We were totally grossed out by the chicken and ended up giving the rest to Caspian. 
    I still have a sweet tooth and a carb loving belly but those I can deal with. I tried tasting fruit loops the other day. I haven't had sugar cereal in a really really long time. It was good at first but the after taste left me feeling like I just ate a barbie doll head. Very plastic-y...gross...

So from now on healthy eating will be the goal everyday and here is the first recipe we cooked from Forks over Knives.

Summer Squash with Wild Rice Stuffing.
Baked summer squash with wild rice stuffing (leeks and dried apricots, raisins and plums) with a leek and Rufus bechamel sauce. So yummy and vegan! No oils either I feel so healthy :)


April 26In
  • Ingredients:

    2 Medium Acorn Squash Halved and Seeded (I used Summer Squash)
    2 Medium Leeks trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch dice 
    2 celery stalks, cut into 1/2 inch dice
    1/2 tsp dried sage (ground is even better)
    1 tsp poultry seasoning
    3/4 cut wild rice blend
    1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
    Salt and pepper to taste (I also added garlic as well as dried apricots, raisins and prunes to make it taste more like holiday stuffing)

    Serves 4 

    1. preheat over to 350 degrees
    2. place the squash halves, cut side down, on a deep baking pan. Place the pan in the oven and pour 1/2 inch of water in the pan
    Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and drain any remaining water from the pan. Turn the squash cut side up and set aside wile you prepare the rice

    3. While squash is baking, heat a 2 quart stockpot over a medium flame, Add the leeks and celery and saute for 7-8 minutes or until the veggies are tender. Add water 1 to 2 tbsp's at a time to keep them from sticking. Add the sage, poultry seasoning, rice and vegetable broth. Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes until the rice is tender. Season with salt pepper and garlic

    4. Stuff each squash half with some of the rice. Return the squash to the over, cover with foil and bake for another 20 minutes.

    Creamy Leek Sauce:

    Ingredients:

    2 Large Leeks, white and light green parts only thinly sliced and washed
    1 package silken tofu
    1/2 tsp sea salt or to taste
    white pepper to taste
    2 tbsp nutritional yeast (I didn't use any, couldn't find it)
    2 tbsp pine nuts
    Zest of 1 lemon 
    4-8 tbsp plain soy milk as needed (i used vanilla coconut milk it was yumm)

    1. In a medium saucepan over a medium flame saute the leeks until tender, about 8 minutes. Add water 1-2 tbsp's at a time to keep them from sticking. Remove from the flame and add to the bowl of a blender with the remaining ingredients. Puree until smooth and creamy adding the soy milk as needed to help blend the sauce

    2. return the sauce to the saucepan and gently heat over a medium flame. Do not boil the sauce


3 comments:

Baylee said...

Yum! All the blogs I subscribe to are posting all these delicious recipes today! What's the deal?? I'm going to try this, this weekend!

chantilly said...

this is how i felt after i tried the master cleanse a few years ago! it was great, and i had tons of energy, and even stuck with healthy eating habits (for awhile..) i also love juicing, but i forget to do it! xx

Monica & Lauren said...

Yeah i stuck with good food for at least a week after but then trader joes goodies crept back into my life. I'm a sugar junkie so I'll probably do it again soon. It can be pain to prepare but so tasty afterwards!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...