Sunday, June 10, 2012

A New Addition to the Family

Last week I had woken up at  4a.m. with the intention of heading out to the Ventura Flea Market with my parents to do some vintage hunting. I was all ready and even planned on doing a what I wore post and all that jazz . However, none of that happened because after my parents picked me up they realized they forgot the directions and had to head back home to get them.

      As we were about to pull into our driveway a small gray fluff ball darted in front of the car and my dad swerved so as not to hit it. I got out of the car to find a trembling furry mass near a parked car wheel. He looked like my sisters dog (a poodle/ bichon mix) and had an incredibly heavy choke chain around his neck. As I inched close to him he backed further under the car and viciously growled at me. His hair was in his eyes and it was so thick and matted that he couldn't see anything in front of him. My dad brought out a hot dog and told me to try to lure him out and then we could try to find the owner. Slowly but surely he accepted the peace offering and I was able to grab his chain without him noticing. Getting him to follow me was another problem all together. He didn't trust anything around him and growled in protest.

Untitled
Right after I found him. He was a very shy guy and still is
    We walked around and tried to find the owner but to no avail. I asked my dad if we could put him in the backyard and maybe try again when we get back. We decided that it wasn't a good idea to leave him back there with the pool and him not being able to see plus the fact that he might get out seeing as that looks like what happened in the first place. I felt so bad for the little guy that I decided to just stay at home with him and try to get him to eat since he devoured the hot dog like he hadn't eaten in days. After about two hours he finally let me pet his head and I was able to cut his hair out of his eyes.

 The moment I was able to see his face my heart melted. He had the sweet big brown eyes of my last dog Ripley who passed away 5 years ago. He looked right at me and gave my hand a couple licks and nuzzled my legs. As I pet him I realized that the poor thing was practically skin and bones. I could actually count the ridges on his spine. He also wasn't fixed and flinched when I raised my hand to pet him.

 After much love and tons of food. By the end of the day he was a transformed dog. I grabbed an old dog toy and got him to play with it. My sister and her bf came down to see him and help me out but the little guy darted under a table and growled and barked at her. It  seems he would only accept bribes and once she gave him a hot dog she became his second favorite person.

Untitled
We gave him a bath and haircut and fed his carrots.

We tried to figure out this dogs back story. Our neighborhood is notorious for stray dogs and cats. Often people will intentionally let their animals out because they don't care. We actually found our last dog "Wee-one" that way. He was a little nearly blind yorkie who my mom found walking into a curb repeatedly in front of our house.  A month later the owner revealed herself as our neighbor across the way and told my mom that she saw him with us but didn't want him back because he was a hassle to care for. I mean seriously? who does that?

  We figured since the dog was very young some family probably got tired of him and tied him up in the back yard and neglected him in some way. My mom actually told me she had seen him out before with a rope around his neck. He didn't even have an id.  We decided to bath him and give him a haircut and I took him home for the time being. He was scanned for a micro-chip at the vet and there was none. Now that the week is up he has yet to be claimed and there aren't even missing dog fliers up around town. There are usually tons of them around since dogs get out all the time.
Untitled
Caspian is not happy about this turn of events.
Anyway, I've decided to keep him. After that first day of bonding I couldn't say no to him and I figured with his young age he will be very easy to train. He has loved his new home and the healthy food and treats he gets now. I can't say Caspian is too happy about it but he needed a pal anyway.

Untitled
The Sum is pissed his bed space is being taken up my Sammy

Untitled


Untitled

I named him Samwise. Sammy for short and Sammy bear for cute. It was really hard to find a name for him. Our first choice was butters but even that didn't seem to stick. I wanted to name him Tyrian (after the dwarf in game of thrones) since his head his huge in comparison to his stubby body.  But he's too silly looking for a name like Tyrian so Sammy it is. 
He's thoroughly enjoying his new home and even christened my carpet. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...