Friday, May 25, 2012

The Start of a Lovely Summer// Renaissance Fair

At the start of summer Gabe and I went to the Renaissance Fair for the first time and had a serious blast! That much fun has to be taken seriously. At first I couldn't believe the price of admission and the offering of season passes but now that I've been there, I understand. The place is HUGE. The shows are endless. The vendors are awesome. You can even take fencing lessons. I was able to capture some really cool pictures from our time there.
Here are some highlights from the fair.

Untitled
I love how the expression this guy is giving. Working this fair looks like so much fun.

Untitled
 The comedy /death defying acts of Moonie one of the many shows at the fair.

Untitled
The area where the fair was held was actually on a lake with a gaggle of geese nearby! People were throwing birdseed for them to munch on and we even saw babies!

Untitled
A goat from the petting zoo. There was even a pug in this petting zoo.

Untitled
There were authentic little houses and tents all over the place. Tables were set up with real platters of food. At this point we had become so hungry that we were tempted to go up there and munch hehe.

Untitled
See those tents in the background? This was near the way back part of the fair. Things started to look very 'back stagey'. Those tents were actually a maze of tents. We wandered around them for a bit till we saw a guy sleeping in one of the beds. We then realized that these people are probably camping out in these tents and they aren't just for show which is rad! This lead us to further believe that these people dress up and take part in the fair for free and to add ambiance. The tent community was for a Guild and people and their children ran around in costume and did Medeival things. All I want to know is..how do I join?! This has to be the most awesome job at the fair.

Untitled
Authentic medeival lounging. They were having a normal conversation but never broke character. I admire them.
Untitled
I saw this kid playing a lute and I just had to be a total creep and photograph him. I mean seriously? This kid is lounging in the tree in full regalia while the sun shines down it's God rays on the scene. Maxfield Parrish might as well have risen from the grave and told me himself that this moment is all too perfect for a photograph.

Untitled
The park was starting to close for the day and that's when everyone starts to gather around for feasts. Us commoners got to watch the court eat and entertain which was incredibly neat. There was also a lot of hardcore laying about.
Untitled

I love when people pose without me having to ask. This guys costume was insane. There were also guys crawling around the floor, leering at people and creeping about which I didn't quite understand. One of them stood up and he was like 5 feet tall so that kind of made sense I guess.
Untitled
My favorite vendor. These masks were handcrafted and amazing

UntitledUntitled

I feel like I hit the jackpot with people posing at the perfect moment on this day. The dunk tank was the first dunk tank I have ever seen. I felt like I was at a real fair. I can't wait to bring my future nerdy children to this type of thing.

Untitled
The blacksmith booth. This girl couldn't have been older than 14 and she was making metal spoons.




These guys. A pirate band who sounded like Gogol Bordello mixed with metal sang songs about pirate life and drinking on the high seas. They have an album called "Heavy Mahogany". And now I leave you with their music video and a little explanation as to where the heck I have been all week!





Oh boy have I been lacking in blog posts lately. Now that school is over I've started working as much as I can for my parents vintage business and surprisingly that leaves little time for internet fun and even my own shop. Aaaaaand I've also spent half my time vegging out and watching episodes of Gossip Girl back to back. Damn that show! It's like the new 90210 but better than the new 90210.

     Anyway, I've found a way to balance it all out though and now I've gotten around to posting pictures from the beginning of summer!

     I have some fun plans in the works for this summer which might include a trip to Portland Oregon or Catalina and a camping trip with my sister and her friends near the end of summer. I also started a little quasi juice cleanse after seeing Fat sick and nearly dead. As far as the business goes I'm contemplating expanding and starting a little online ebay boutique strictly for fashion from this era. Downtown LA has some great wholesale places so these are all just thoughts but I can't wait! I'm trying to think up some rad DIY stuff too but sometimes laziness gets the best of me.
  Theses are all for different blog posts but that's just a little update on why I've neglected my bloggy duties.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...