Friday, May 18, 2012

My First Birch Box!

I was so excited to receive my first Birch Box in the mail a couple of weeks ago! If you haven't heard of it, BirchBox is a subscription service much like a magazine. For $10 you can receive a small box of 5 samples from top beauty brands once a month. I decided to give it a go and was so stoked to get a themed box in the mail. It's like getting a present every month. This months box was Gossip Girl themed which I barely started watching on Netflix now. 
     I never really got into the show too much but now that I have watched all the easily addicting shows on Netflix I decided to stop being stubborn and give the show a chance. It's pretty good actually and I love the clothes. 

     When I think of Gossip Girl and beauty the first two things that pop into my head are :
1-Lipgloss and
 2- eyeshadow. 
Our boxes were supposed to be based on the show but each box is different.

Below is the box I received for the month of May

j

What's inside:
1. Aquiste- L'Etrog Perfume 
2. Beauty Blender Brush cleaner and makeup remover
3. Color Club Nail Polish in Disco Nap
4. Dr. Jart+ Waterfuse BB Cream (Tinted Face cream)
5. Twistband skinny headband
6. Gossip Girl stationary card (meh)

So ....yeah. I think I got the crappy end of the stick here for my first box. I watched a few youtube videos of reviews on these and there were wayyy cooler things in other boxes. I don't really get the correlation between Gossip Girl and the box I received.  It seems like they threw in the leftovers. 

     I was, however pretty excited about the nail polish since I don't own a decent gold color. I put Disco Nap on yesterday (appropriate since Donna Summer passed.). The color is great and it's a little matte and goes on super smooth. 

    The Perfume smelled like old lady. It was supposed to be inspired by Medieval Calabria, Italy which had me curious to try since I just went to the Renaissance Fair. I don't know what I expected but I guess I wanted to be whisked away to that sweet smelling fair again through this perfume. It's grassy and musky but it's growing on me. 

Twist band is good for when I wash my face but doesn't stay in place when I work out.....sucks
The brush cleaner is a useful little bottle but I probably won't ever buy one.
The Dr. Jart+ Cream seemed to have promise but the sample bottle was so small that I couldn't get a good idea of how I liked it. I only put the cream on twice and then the bottle just puffed out air after that. It  doesn't spread easily either so you have to use a lot. The shade wasn't in my face color so I'm wondering if they make multiple shades.

All in all I'm not too impressed with birchbox. I hope next month will be a bit better but I think I need to fix my beauty profile because I might be giving the staff over there the wrong idea

Now....Glossy box on the other hand. They actually send travel size samples for $21 a month and I'm thinking that would be totally worth it over birch. I might check it out next month. 

So this is just a review if any of you are curious about this subscription service. 
To sign up for your own BirchBox click Here!

3 comments:

Baylee said...

Hm.. I like the idea of getting beauty stuff in the mail each month but this review makes me want to save my money.. LOL The polish sounds rad and you're right. Appropriate for the day Donna Summer passed.

Monica & Lauren said...

Yea I kind of feel that way about it too. I'll probably give it a few months.
Glossybox looks like it's totally worth it though but that's probably because it's more expensive. There are a few youtube videos about it and every sample is almost regular size.

Amanda said...

I've been thinking about trying out BirchBox, but your review definitely makes me reconsider. I will be interested in seeing how your next box is before I try it out myself.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...