Saturday, May 12, 2012

Holy Guacamole!

I dropped off the radar for a bit this week and took a break from blogging. It's the week of finals and there is little time to focus on writing posts but I just thought I would post a recipe of my favorite treat! The Santa Monica vintage show went really well and I was so stoked that Dita Von Teese bought a couple of things from our booth! I always forget how neat L.A. can be but when things like that happen I get pretty stoked to live out here. I have been a shutterbug this whole week so I will have some fun little things to post in the coming days.


  Holy Guacamole! Untitled


This guacamole is the real deal. You wont find any sour cream or any other funky stuff in this. It's all natural and a super healthy snack. If I have an avocado lying around and tortilla chips then I will usually make this delightful concoction. The recipe is simple and it's been a staple at all of our family get-together's. Since I'm of mexican descent I like to think that it's pretty authentic, however I could be wrong. My family tends to make mexican dishes the way we like them (no lard, grease etc) but I think guacamole should be as close to this as possible.
And for anyone curious about the pronunciation of guacamole it's either with a soft "G" or it will sound like this: Walk-ah-mole-eh. Some people say "gwalk" which is technically correct depending on region and all that but the g is very soft so it still sounds like walk. I'm kind of a jerk about pronunciation..it gets me the way the word "Quesadilla" gets me (guess-ah-thee-yah is the way you say it), but enough about my hang ups. On to the food!

Ingredients can be adjusted to taste and serving. One avocado can serve two people...or one if you like to get your munch on like me :)

Serves: 6 or more.
Ingredients:
5 Avocados
3 Roma Tomatoes ( or one huge tomate or two huge tomatoes..however many you want in your dip but one huge one should be good)
2 scallions coarsely chopped
1/2 cup cilantro finely chopped
1 jalapeno finely chopped (put the seeds in if you like! or substitute for habanero powder or other chilli powder)
Salt, pepper and Garlic to taste ( I like to make mine slightly salty with a really noticeable garlic taste)

1 tsp lemon juice OPTIONAL (This is mostly for keeping it fresh or if you plan to store it for a while. It keeps it from browning. It adds a lemon flavor which I personally don't like but if you dig it then add it in )

WARNING: Your burps will either not be pleasant..or a delicious reminder after you eat this!

1. Cut the avocados in half and remove the pits. Save one pit for storing the guacamole later. Use a large spoon to dig out the avocado meat and place the meat in a bowl. Do not smash up the avocados that are in the bowl save that part for last.

2. On a cutting board cut one end off of your tomatoes so that you create a flat surface. If you can stand your tomato upright without it falling over then congrats! Now on the side that you just cut off create several vertical cuts slightly more than halfway down the tomato. Now turn the tomato around so that the vertical cuts are now horizontal. Create several vertical cuts again so that you create a crosshatch or waffle pattern on the tomato. Remember not to fully slice the tomato just cut slightly past halfway down.

       Turn the tomato on its side and cut it like you would cut slices of tomato for a sandwich (vertically in 1/4 inch pieces). As you do this you will notice that the tomato will come apart into little square pieces! Magical! Do this to all the tomatoes feel free to curse my name if you bought more than 2 tomatoes.

3. Add the tomatoes, scallions, cilantro, and jalapeno (or a dash of chili powder)to the bowl of avocados.

 4. Add the salt pepper and garlic to taste

 5. Now take your spoon and mash it and mix it up. This is the time for you to figure out how you want the consistency to be. I like mine kind of chunky which is why I save this part for last. If you mash it up too soon it can easily become runny and watery especially if you use Hass avocados. My sister has disappointed the entire family on many occasions by mashing it up with too much zeal and avocados aren't cheap ladies ;) 


Storage: If you want to store this for later you can add a sprinkle of lemon juice and place the pit of the avocado in the center of the guacamole. Or you can nix the lemon juice and just put the pit in the center of the dip. It will keep it fresh and it wont brown as quickly.

 So that's it! Now it's time to ask yourself "Are you a Mexi-can? or a Mexi-can't?" regardless of ethnicity this is some tasty goodness and I hope you enjoy!

1 comments:

Naomi said...

Looks AMAZING!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...