Wednesday, May 2, 2012

April In Photos

I have been a photo maniac this month. I have a collection of photos from my little adventures this month.

Gabe and I took a little jaunt over to the local Lemon festival which, by the sound of it, promised good old fashioned small town entertainment, complete with a pie eating contest. It was less old timey mom and pop vendors selling soda pop and slow churned ice cream by the scoop and more "As seen on Tv"/ late night infomercial vendors selling crap. Their desperation to sell their nonsense was only worsened by their attempts to lure people in by yelling at them and saying "I'm not standing here for my health!".
    I was hoping for a feel of leave it to beaver goodness and was left defeated by my hopes and dreams. At least we had the flavor of kettle corn and sarsaparilla on our lips which at the very least fooled our tastebuds into thinking it was the 1950's.




I got pretty into painting my nails and I might post them from time to time. I tried out water marbling which is a huge pain in the ass and I ended up loving the marble paint that's left on my hand then what's left on my finger. 
      I played around with nails decals which made me feel like I had some sort of bond with the ghetto fabulous attendant at my local gas station. She had rhinestones on her expertly painted talons and she only pursed her brown lined lips in distaste at me when I complimented them.
More to the point...why did I find chola nails so fantastic? 
My next step will be to try the japanese style of nail art. I want my tiny nails to hang heavy with hello kitty charms like these at Never too Much Glitter




This past Sunday I worked my family's booth at the Pickwick Vintage and Textile show in Burbank. You can see the oodles of goodies I bought here. Below are photos I took from their  booth. My mom finds the most awesome clothes and if I'm lucky she'll toss a few scraps my way :) They will be doing another show this weekend THE BIG ONE , the Santa Monica Vintage Expo at the civic center and their booth will be twice as large. They will have men's and women's clothing and I'll even have a rack of my clothes too!
Check em out :Vintage Blue Moon




And finally our hike through the foothills. It was such a hot day and we forgot sunscreen. I got a gnarly burn on my back it looked like this ---> lXl 
That was officially the stupidest looking sunburn I have ever received. We decided to stray off the main path and head to another path only to stumble upon deer hoof prints and one gigantic paw print. Needless to say we didn't stick around to see who that paw print belonged to. 

1. I found some little acorns near the lion print
2. The lovely yellow flowers that grew in a small clearing at the side of the trail
3. The view of the big mountain near my home covered in clouds.
4. The start of the trail, covered in a thick canopy of trees and a babbling brook nearby
5. Bruce putting on his happy face for us even though our 5 mile trek was wearing the poor little guy out
6. It was so hot that when we came upon this puddle Bruce waded through it, lapped up some water and promplty sat down to cool off. 

 On the ride home the Bruce fell asleep with his head on Gabe's arm, and once we were home he dove into the swimming pool. He's such a happy boy and loves it when we take him out and about. Without fail, every time Gabe heads for the door Bruce is there ready to go. He's such a sweet boy.

So there it was, my month of April in photos. It was a good round of adventuring and ended in an awesome wedding. I can't wait to see what this month will bring. We have plans to take the Bruce to the dog beach and hit up the Renaissance fair.

5 comments:

chantilly said...

i've seen tutorials on how to do those marbled nails! it seems super easy. it's awesome that your parents have a vintage business too! they do shows though? interesting...

x

Monica & Lauren said...

Yeah the marbled nails are like a mixture of frustration and satisfaction once you get it right.
Yeah my parents used to sell ceramics and stuff at a local antique store but when they got into doing clothes they decided to keep it to shows and the internet. Between that and the craft fairs they used to do when I was little it seems like me and my sister have been setting up and breaking down booths our whole lives lol. In the end it's pretty fun but definitely something I would keep to a bare minimum for my shop if anything...mostly cuz of general laziness hehe

Sadie Dear said...

Oh, I can't stand "festivals" that trick you like that! I've been to my share, and it makes me want to stay away for good. But... there are some festivals worth attending, so you can't let the bad ones scare you off! Because I totally would have tried a lemon festival, too.

Unknown said...

Your April looks a lot more fun than mine was! And I loooove the look of the water marbling nails! I tried it once but I failed lol!

daydream frenzy

Swimsuit Giftcard Giveaway

Monica & Lauren said...

lol I hate when festivals trick me too especially when it looks so darn pleasant on the sign. Any reason to get out and about on a nice day is a good one :)
And thanks Rachel! The water marbling was fun but it takes a lot of patience to get it right.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...